Saturday, August 22, 2009

big girl steps



Proud to be part of Fight Back Fridays!
Click here

"What I'm only now realizing, though,
is that while I think about food so much
and have used and abused it
as a substitute for contentment,
I've never really been a conscious eater."

- Oprah in "O" Magazine October '08

"When you eat cocount
(and other healthy fats
like those found in butter, cream,
nuts, meats, and eggs),
your body actually produces a hormone
in the stomach and small intestine
that signals that you've eaten enough...


...When you feel satiated, cravings,
and the persistent hunger
you experience on most diets,
are banished.
An added bonus is that many health problems
will resolve themselves
and you will have more energy
and a more optimistic attitude
toward life."

- Dr. Mary Enig and Sally Fallon in
"Eat Fat, Lose Fat"

The first thing that goes into my mouth in the morning?
Fermented Cod Liver Oil and Virgin Coconut Oil chased by decaf herbal tea.

15 or so minutes later I'll drink a half a cup of raw milk or (if it's available) raw colostrum.

Once that settles I'll eat some protein like grass-fed bologna or sausage or ground beef or pastured (not pasteurized, pastured) Amish eggs.

While I do my online thing in the morning I'll sip decaf tea with raw milk sweetened with a little raw honey or stevia.

I'm rarely hungry first thing in the morning but I go through my morning eating routine because I know it's good for me. It jump starts my metabolism for the day. It coats my intestines with healthy enzymes and cultures.
It's healing food on an empty stomach.

My mornings are always calm when it comes to eating.

The rest of the day?
Frantic.
I have to work on that.

Now that I have the nutrition thing down to a science (I really have to memorize the nutrition stuff so I can give lectures) it's time to work on the eating disorder thing.
My binge eating disorder has ameliorated greatly since my gastric bypass in 2006 but some of the eating disordered habits are still there,
like my frantic eating habits throughout my day.

I have to be very careful not to let myself get too hungry.
When I get hungry I panic.
I get headaches.
My anxiety makes me eat too much too fast sending me into a spiral of discomfort that I often ease by eating more food.
Sure the food is high quality.
Yes, it's super nutritious, but the behavior is not as intentional as I'd like it to be.
I can do better.

The baby steps I'm taking with my knee are turning into big girl steps.
I ran errands with my mother today without a cane or crutches.
(P.S. Using a cane knocked my spine out of shape pretty badly. Crutches are a better option for me. My chiropractor fixed me up nicely, though!)

My semester is starting on September 3rd.
It's time to gear up for life, adrenal fatigue or not.

I had faith that my knee would heal and it did.
Now I have to have faith that my adrenals will heal and that my eating habits will become more conscious.

Day by day the steps I take, big-girl or baby, will bring me closer to vibrant health and achieving my dreams.

I purchased the book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" by the great Mary Enig and Sally Fallon of the Weston A. Price Foundation (non-profit organization that provides accurate nutrition information).
Expect to read many great quotes from that book as I apply it to my life.

*Lisa's Video Pick of the Day*
Ok, he talks about medium chain fatty acids.
I need to learn about these short and medium chain fatty acids!!
Coconut oil, made of medium chain triglycerides (MCT), does not require extra enzymes for digestion and absorption and, as such, can be immediately converted by the body into energy.
For those with chronic conditions or those who have trouble digesting fats, this is great news! Coconut oil not only gives your body the energy it needs to fight chronic conditions, it helps your body get the nutrients it needs while aiding your digestive system.
Listen to Pat Sullivan of Jigsaw Health, author of "Wellness: Piece by Piece".
click here or click below

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Val said...

Lisa, I presume you're just dosing yourself w/a spoonful of coconut oil straight out of the jar??
[I bought some, intending to make smoothies, but I haven't gotten to Phase II, which involves taking down & dusting off the blender ;-)]

Lisa said...

You presume correctly! I get the unrefined oil so it's solid at room temperature. It has the consistency of butter. I still need a chaser even thought it tastes great. I know how hard dusting off the appliances can be! It's like this big step...lol. It begins a commitment. Smoothies are a good way to commit :-)