Thursday, March 19, 2009

No dilemma for this omnivore!

"Tell people they can do
what their body naturally wants to.
All of the other rules
require willpower,
and willpower
doesn't
work."

- Sally Fallon in The Washington Post

"Fallon appears to be living proof
of the benefits of the
"Nourishing Traditions"
diet.
Her typical day's food intake is
about 2,300 calories
and includes eggs,
with extra yolks,
or oatmeal with at least
three tablespoons of butter for breakfast;
soup with cheese or pâté for lunch;
and meat or organ meat
for dinner with
lots of vegetables.
"
- The Great Divide:
Who says good nutrition means animal fats?

Authentic 'Gryffindor' scarf by Sarah.

Proud to be part of Fight Back Fridays! (click here)

I helped to pluck the mini feathers off those chicken feet!
My great grandmother used to speed pluck a whole chicken
the same chicken whose neck she'd wrung moments earlier.

No, I never watched her do it.
Having actually rescued a live chicken from the railroad tracks near the Lincoln Tunnel back in 1990 and almost got myself run over for the sake of the animal, I can't imagine hunting or slaughtering my own food.

But I'm still eating meat regardless of my squeamishness over wringing a bird's neck.

Do I differentiate between house pets and food animals?
Yes.

Maybe PETA would call me a hypocrite but I'm not asking them for nutrition advice.

Let them concentrate on ending animal abuse on factory farms.
That's where the cruelty of the meat industry needs to come to light so it can come to an end.
Factory farms are cruel to animals and bad for humans.

Small local farms where the animals are raised with a conscience need to be supported and protected.

Do animals die there?
Yes.
But they live in a natural, free environment,
are fed what their bodies need,
and are killed with consideration.

Sorry if you don't like death.

I don't like it either.

I've had three of my beloved cats die of old age in my arms over the past 3 years.
I know what death feels like in my hands.

Someday I'll have to die too.
We all do.

It's nice when our loved one - humans and animals alike - can live a good, long life and die of old age. Through our loving care their bodies and spirits are honored all the way to the end of their lifespan.

But without our loving care nature isn't set up that way.
Stuff dies all the time.

Farm animals die so we can eat well.
Game is hunted and we flourish because of it's life-giving flesh.

Animals prey on other animals.

Welcome to the food chain.

I feel much, much better eating meat.
Of course it's grass-fed, farm meat, but it's meat none the less.

Would I still dash into oncoming highway traffic to save an animal?
(I've done it for a dog, a woodchuck and a chicken all on separate occasions).

Of course I would.

And when it's time for dinner, I hope someone with my great grandma's fortitude will wring that chicken's neck so I can eat it and give some of it to the dog!

The groundhog?
He's busy digging up my father's garden.
For real.

Pictures coming this summer!

Eat hearty.
Live well.

*Lisa's Video Pick of the Day*
John and Colleen Nyman put ethical meat on the plates of their neighbors. That's why they branched off from their traditional farming backgrounds in 2006 to do it their way on a farm near Picton. They make no claims of being certified organic. Rather, the couple employs organic, sustainable and ethical practices wherever they can.
They raise animals on a diet of fresh "green chop" and vegetables and keep grains to a minimum. The animals get plenty of fresh air and are allowed to breed in-season. The Nymans sell their meat through their Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. John and Colleen get lots of help from their parents and their young son, Shea.
click here or click below

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Veiled Glory said...

The chicken feet remind me of the adoption trip to China I went with my parents to get my sister. At one restaurant they brought out a bowl of soupy substance and noodles, with a chicken foot sticking straight up out of the food. None of the westerners wanted to touch the dish...but the Chinese girls were fighting over the chicken foot!